Getting tired of meat? Do you want some vegetables this time? Or perhaps you are looking for ways to get your kids to eat their veggies. If you are a parent yourself, I bet you know how hard it is to encourage children to eat vegetables. Kids nowadays are somewhat picky. They would grab candies in a heartbeat and forget everything else. Despite that, it is still your responsibility as a parent to get them to eat nutritious foods. With a little bit of creativity, there is no doubt that you will be able to teach your offsprings to eat fruits and veggies.
So, what kind of vegetables can you feed your kids with? Well, there’s a lot really.
When it comes to nutrients, cauliflower is probably the best. In fact, of all vegetables that you can find, this right here has the most impressive profile. It is low in calories, but quite high in vitamins. It is so versatile, too, and it can be a finger food for babies as well as toddlers.
This cruciferous vegetable can be steamed, pureed, mashed, grated, roasted, or baked. For today’s dinner, we are going to feature Creamy Baked Cauliflower, a perfect side dish, or even a main course on an ordinary night as well as on a special occasion.Print
This Creamy Baked Cauliflower is something that even the ‘pickiest’ kids will certainly fall in love with. It’s super creamy and cheesy. It’s a richer take on the traditional family bake that everybody has been accustomed to. This recipe is a game-changer!
1 head cauliflower (cut into florets)
4 tbsps. butter
2 tbsps. flour
2 c. milk
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
1 c. Swiss cheese
1/4 c. breadcrumbs
1/2 c. Parmesan cheese
salt and pepper to taste
- Bring a pot of salted water to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Blanch the cauliflower florets for about 5 minutes and then set aside.
- Melt 2 tablespoons of butter in a saucepan over medium heat and then add flour and cook for a couple of minutes.
- Add milk and bring to a simmer. Cook for about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper and add nutmeg and 1/2 cup of cheese.
- Pour 1/3 of the sauce into a baking dish, add cauliflower florets, and then pour the rest of the sauce over it.
- Combine breadcrumbs and remaining Swiss cheese and sprinkle on the casserole. Melt the remaining butter and drizzle over the cauliflower.
- Set oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit and bake for about 25 to 30 minutes or until the top has browned.
When simmering the milk, make sure to stir or whisk constantly to remove lumps.
See? Making Creamy Baked Cauliflower is not hard at all. As creamy and cheesy as it is, your little kids won’t even notice that they are actually eating vegetables. This is a great opportunity to get them to eat healthy foods. Well, this dish is not only something that children will enjoy but also adults. You can consider serving it when hosting a party.