For those weeknights when you feel like playing cards or perhaps board games with your friends and family, you could offer Hot Toddy. Oh, it is definitely the perfect drink, especially when it is chilly outside. This beverage will definitely warm you up!
This classic cocktail is very simple to make. Basically, it is a liquor base with honey, lemon, and tea. You can utilize brandy, rum, or whiskey. You are free to experiment depending on what ingredients you have on hand. The same is true with tea. You are free to choose the flavor. If you want, switch out the fruit as well as sweeten it with anything. This drink is versatile!
Whatever you want to make your hot toddy with, one thing is for sure, it is one of the best drinks you can ever have, especially during the cold season. I’m sure it is going to be your new favorite cold-weather drink!Print
Wanna warm up? Try making some hot toddies! This classic cocktail couldn’t be easier to make. All you need is hot water, tea, honey, and lemon. It is one of the best drinks you could offer to your friends and family members if you want to just hang out on those chilly nights.
1 cup of water
1 tea bag (black or green tea)
1 tbsp. honey
1 1/2 oz. brandy
1 tbsp. freshly squeezed lemon juice (add more if needed)
Lemon wedge (for garnish)
Cinnamon stick (for garnish)
- Heat the water. You can do this using a tea kettle or the microwave.
- Once the water is warm enough, add the tea bag and allow it to steep for about 5 minutes.
- While waiting for the tea, add warm water to your Irish coffee glass to heat it up.
- Once the glass is warm, get rid of the warm water and then coat the bottom with honey.
- Add the liquor plus the lemon juice to the glass.
- Fill with the brewed tea and stir well to incorporate the honey.
- Garnish with a lemon wedge and cinnamon stick.
- Serve and enjoy your Hot Toddy!
- Instead of using a teabag, you can also utilize 1 teaspoon loose leaf tea.
- You can replace the brandy with either rum or whiskey.
- You have the freedom to add as much lemon as you like. Although one lemon wedge should be good enough, feel free to add a little extra citrus.
- Preheating your glass helps keep the glass warm. Instead of filling it with warm water, you can also warm it up for about 5 to 10 seconds in the microwave.
For people who really don’t want liquor, you can simply omit the rum, whiskey, or brandy. It may not be ‘hot toddy’ anymore, but it still makes an excellent winter drink. If you are not into honey, you can replace it with agave nectar. It is vegan and it is as sweet as honey.
Don’t have honey or agave nectar? Just use simple syrup. I highly recommend you try cinnamon syrup or cranberry spice syrup.