Ultimate Salted Caramel Cupcakes
We are all fond of cupcakes. They can be eaten as a snack or dessert. They are very satisfying, too, especially if they are flavored well and come with delicious toppings. Now, speaking of flavor, do you like caramel? I bet you do! If you love the taste of caramel, I’m sure you will like salted caramel more. It is a confectionary flavor that is added to various desserts all over the world.
Salted caramel was first featured in fine-dining restaurants and gourmet stores, but later on, it has made its way to a lot of chain establishments as well as bakeries and supermarkets. It became very popular in the United States, the United Kingdom, and other parts of the world.
The sweetness and saltiness are very appealing to the taste buds. Imagine your cupcakes flavored and topped with salted caramel. That would be a real treat right there! You just have to add a dash of salt, enough to balance the sweetness and create a positive reaction.
These salted caramel beauties will surely capture everybody’s heart. They will be your new favorite, I swear! The brown sugar cupcakes are fluffy and they are also stuffed with salted caramel sauce, not to mention the salted caramel frosting. Nobody can say no to that! 🙂
For salted caramel lovers, this recipe is an excellent way to enjoy your favorite flavor – fluffy cupcakes stuffed with caramel cream and topped with equally delicious salted caramel frosting. A real treat, indeed!
For the cupcakes:
2 c. all-purpose flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 c. full-fat sour cream
1/2 c. whole milk
1 stick unsalted butter
3/4 c. packed light brown sugar
1/4 c. granulated sugar
2 large eggs
1 large egg yolk
1/4 c. boiling water
1/2 c. thick creamy caramel sauce
For the frosting:
1 stick unsalted butter
1/2 c. heavy cream
1 c. packed light brown sugar
3/4. tsp salt
3 1/4 c. confectioner’s sugar (sifted)
For the decoration:
1/4 c. liquid caramel sauce
1 tsp. flaky sea salt
6 chewy caramel candies (cut in half)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Line a cupcake tin (12-mold) with paper liners and lightly spray with non-stick spray. Set aside.
- Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt in a large bowl and then set aside.
- Combine the milk and sour cream in a small bowl and set aside.
- Using a handheld electric mixer, beat the butter and both sugars for about 4 minutes or until light and fluffy. Add the eggs and egg yolk one at a time and beat well after each addition.
- Reduce mixer speed and slowly add the flour mixture and milk-sour cream mixture. Add half of the flour mixture first, followed by the milk mixture, and then the remaining half of the flour mixture.
- Add the hot water and beat until combined.
- Fill the cupcake tins (3/4 full) and bake in the oven for about 22 minutes. Allow them to cool in the pan for 10 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack.
- Once the cupcakes are cool enough, carve out a small hole in the middle of each cupcake, but do not discard the carved out piece.
- Fill each hole with about 2 teaspoons of caramel sauce and then put the carved out piece back. Set aside while making the frosting.
- Put a medium saucepan over medium heat and add the butter, cream, salt, and brown sugar. Cook for about 4 minutes while stirring occasionally until the sugar melts. Remove from heat and let cool for a couple of minutes.
- Transfer the mixture into the bowl of an electric mixer. Add 2 cups of confectioner’s sugar and then beat smoothly. Increase speed and beat for 5 minutes.
- Put the frosting in the fridge for 15 minutes. Stir then frost the cupcakes as desired.
- Decorate each frosted cupcake with a drizzle of caramel sauce, a little bit of flaky sea salt, and half of a caramel candy.
It is very important that the cupcakes are completely cooled before frosting them.
You can make the cupcakes ahead of time. You can even freeze them (unfrosted) for about 2 months.
If you want to add texture to your salted caramel cupcakes, top them with walnuts, too.