Homemade Christmas Peppermint Bark
Christmas is just around the corner. Aside from gifts, this is the season when we simply can’t our hands off holiday treats. I’m sure you are already wondering what to make, especially if you have kids at home. Knowing children, just about any sweets would make them happy. Well, most adults are the same way.
So aside from cakes and pies, what else can you make?
Have you ever tried peppermint bark before? If not, it’s about time you try it. You can store it so that you will always have something to get into when sweet cravings hit you. It’s also a perfect dessert for Christmas. You should add it to your list of festive treats. Oh, you can expect everybody to love it!
What Is Peppermint Bark?
Peppermint bark is very popular. But to those of you who haven’t had it before, it is a holiday treat that is made of two types of chocolate. You can utilize either semisweet or dark chocolate along with the white one. And to make it more appealing, top it with chopped candy canes. It’s delicious. Plus, it is not complicated at all to make. You can pull this treat together even with your eyes closed! 🙂
This dessert recipe made with semisweet or dark and white chocolate may seem simple. But once you have a piece, I’m sure you would want more. Flavored with peppermint and top with chopped candy canes, you’d find it very satisfying. A perfect way to satisfy your cravings for sweets!
12 ounces semisweet chocolate (chopped)
12 ounces white chocolate (chopped)
1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract
8 candy canes (crushed)
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Fill a large pot with water (about 3 inches from the bottom) and bring to a simmer over medium heat.
- Once it starts to simmer, reduce heat and put a heatproof bowl on top.
- Put the semisweet chocolate in the bowl. Stir carefully until it is melted. Add the peppermint extract.
- Pour it into the baking sheet and make sure it is even using an offset spatula. Refrigerate for about 20 minutes or until set.
- Using the same pot of simmering water, put another heatproof bowl and add the white chocolate. Stir until melted.
- Pour over semi sweet chocolate and top with crushed candy canes.
- Refrigerate for 20 minutes or until set.
If you want the peppermint bark to set faster, you can put it in the freezer for 10 minutes.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
There is actually another way to melt the chocolate. You can use a microwave. Put the chocolate in a large heatproof bowl and then place it in the microwave. Set it on low. Stir every 30 seconds. Make sure to stir well to avoid the chocolate from getting burnt, especially the ones at the bottom.
With just a few ingredients and by following very simple steps, you can have Christmas Peppermint Bark. In fact, you can make this anytime even if it is not yet the holiday season. It would be nice to have it handy so you can treat your kids with it when they are being good! 🙂