For salted caramel lovers, this recipe is an excellent way to enjoy your favorite flavor – fluffy cupcakes stuffed with caramel cream and topped with equally delicious salted caramel frosting. A real treat, indeed!
For the cupcakes:
2 c. all-purpose flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 c. full-fat sour cream
1/2 c. whole milk
1 stick unsalted butter
3/4 c. packed light brown sugar
1/4 c. granulated sugar
2 large eggs
1 large egg yolk
1/4 c. boiling water
1/2 c. thick creamy caramel sauce
For the frosting:
1 stick unsalted butter
1/2 c. heavy cream
1 c. packed light brown sugar
3/4. tsp salt
3 1/4 c. confectioner’s sugar (sifted)
For the decoration:
1/4 c. liquid caramel sauce
1 tsp. flaky sea salt
6 chewy caramel candies (cut in half)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Line a cupcake tin (12-mold) with paper liners and lightly spray with non-stick spray. Set aside.
- Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt in a large bowl and then set aside.
- Combine the milk and sour cream in a small bowl and set aside.
- Using a handheld electric mixer, beat the butter and both sugars for about 4 minutes or until light and fluffy. Add the eggs and egg yolk one at a time and beat well after each addition.
- Reduce mixer speed and slowly add the flour mixture and milk-sour cream mixture. Add half of the flour mixture first, followed by the milk mixture, and then the remaining half of the flour mixture.
- Add the hot water and beat until combined.
- Fill the cupcake tins (3/4 full) and bake in the oven for about 22 minutes. Allow them to cool in the pan for 10 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack.
- Once the cupcakes are cool enough, carve out a small hole in the middle of each cupcake, but do not discard the carved out piece.
- Fill each hole with about 2 teaspoons of caramel sauce and then put the carved out piece back. Set aside while making the frosting.
- Put a medium saucepan over medium heat and add the butter, cream, salt, and brown sugar. Cook for about 4 minutes while stirring occasionally until the sugar melts. Remove from heat and let cool for a couple of minutes.
- Transfer the mixture into the bowl of an electric mixer. Add 2 cups of confectioner’s sugar and then beat smoothly. Increase speed and beat for 5 minutes.
- Put the frosting in the fridge for 15 minutes. Stir then frost the cupcakes as desired.
- Decorate each frosted cupcake with a drizzle of caramel sauce, a little bit of flaky sea salt, and half of a caramel candy.
It is very important that the cupcakes are completely cooled before frosting them.