Smothered Pork Chops With Onion Gravy
Pork chop…A lot of people are afraid of this cut of meat. Some think that it is unhealthy. But the truth is, pork itself is rich in vitamins and minerals that your body needs in order for it to function well. It is also an excellent source of protein. As long as you cook it the right way, you will surely reap the health benefits.
Pork chops sometimes do not get the praise they deserve. But let me tell you this; if you cook them right, you would end up with a tender, juicy, and flavorful main course like these ‘Smothered Pork Chops’.
There are so many ways in which you can cook pork chops. You can cook them on the stovetop as well as on a grill or in an oven. But no matter which cooking equipment you opt to choose, it is important to season the meat first. Cooking them right from the refrigerator is also a big no-no. You should also never undercook or overcook them to get the best results. And lastly, allow the meat to rest.
Now, if you are wondering what to do with your stash of pork chops, I highly suggest pan-frying and ‘smothering’ them with rich onion gravy.Print
This Smothered Pork Chop recipe would definitely change how you look at pork – for good reasons. This dish is composed of carefully pan-fried pork chops and smothered with delightful onion gravy. It’s perfect for every night of the week!
4 large pork chops (bone-in, about an inch thick)
1 tsp poultry seasoning
salt and pepper, to taste
1 tbsp butter
1 large yellow onion (sliced)
4 cloves garlic (minced)
1 1/2 c. chicken broth
1 1/2 tbsp all-purpose flour
1/4 c. buttermilk
1/4 c. water
2 tbsp vegetable oil
- Season both sides of the pork chops with poultry seasoning, salt, and pepper.
- Using a large skillet over medium-high heat, heat vegetable oil. Cook pork chops for about 5 minutes per side, and then transfer to a plate.
- Get rid of the excess oil from the skillet and melt butter in the same pan. Add onion and a little bit of salt and cook on medium heat for about 15 minutes or until onion is browned and caramelized.
- Add garlic. Cook for 1 minute.
- Add flour. Cook for about 2 minutes.
- Pour chicken broth into the pan. Check if there is juice that has accumulated on the plate that contains the cooked pork chops. Add it to the skillet.
- Add buttermilk and mix until smooth.
- Add water, bring the sauce to a simmer, and reduce heat to low. Cook until sauce is thickened. This may take about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Place pork chops into the sauce. Make sure the meat is all coated.
- Simmer until pork chops are tender and cooked through (10 minutes).
- Add salt and pepper if needed.
- Serve porch chops with gravy on top.
To complete your meal, serve your Smothered Pork Chops with rice. Or, you can also have some steamed vegetables on the side. French Fries would be a good match, too.