Russian Honey Cake
Desserts hold a special place in our hearts. Who wouldn’t want to end lunch or dinner with something sweet, delicious, and truly satisfying? It’s just a matter of choosing the right one. So today, we are going to feature a special type of cake that originated in Russia. And you know what it’s made with? Honey!
Honey has been used for centuries both as medicine and ingredients for various dishes, particularly desserts. Yes, it’s sweet, but that doesn’t mean that you can no longer use it to stay healthy. If you are trying to lose weight, it is highly recommended that you use honey instead of refined sugar.
As long as you are utilizing high-quality honey, you can expect it to be rich in antioxidants, which as we all know are very beneficial health-wise. This ingredient is also much better to use than sugar, particularly for those who have diabetes. It can also help lower cholesterol and triglycerides. Plus, it comes with a plethora of benefits when it comes to skin health.
Excited about our dessert for the day? It’s Russian Honey Cake! Uhmmm…Honey cake.
There are many types of honey cakes. You can also make one in different ways. But the one that we are featuring is a little bit more elaborate. But don’t get intimidated. I promise you, it’s worth making!
Burnt honey – that’s what gives this Russian Honey Cake a little bitter taste, for good reason! Mixed with whipped cream frosting, you’d have a lovely Honey Cake which is not too sweet and with a light texture.
3/4 c. wildflower honey
3 tbsp. cold water
3/4 c. wildflower honey
14 tbsp. unsalted butter (sliced)
1 c. white sugar
6 large eggs (cold)
3 3/4 c. all-purpose flour
2 1/2 tsp. baking soda
3/4 tsp. fine salt
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
4 c. heavy whipping cream (cold)
3/4 c. sour cream
- Using a saucepan over medium heat, bring 3/4 cup of honey to a boil for about 10 minutes or until it gets darker and produces a caramel-like aroma. Remove from heat and whisk in cold water.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Meanwhile, line a baking sheet with a silicone mat. Also, place a mixing bowl and a whisk in the fridge.
- Set the stove to the lowest heat and put a metal bowl. Mix 1/4 cup of the burnt honey with butter, sugar, and regular wildflower honey in it. Let it melt.
- Using a small bowl, combine cinnamon, salt, and baking soda.
- Beat butter mixture until warm to the touch, and then add the eggs and baking soda mixture. Sift in flour in 3 additions and stir well after each other.
- Transfer 1/2 cup of the batter onto the baking sheet. Using an offset spatula, spread it into a 9-inch circle. Knock out any tiny air bubbles by shaking and tapping the pan.
- Bake for about 7 minutes or until light brown. Remove the liner and let the cake layer cool off until it is firm enough to remove. Invert it onto a round parchment paper. Repeat until you have 8 cake layers.
- Trim edges of the cake layers using a pizza wheel to ensure that they have the same size. Save the scraps.
- Spread the remaining batter onto the baking sheet lined with a silicone mat. Bake for about 10 minutes, remove from the oven, cut into small pieces, and toss with cake scraps.
- Put it back into the oven and bake for another 10 minutes or until browned. Let it cool for about 20 minutes and then transfer to a resealable bag. Beat it into fine crumbs using a rolling pin.
- Get the bowl and whisk from the fridge and pour in heavy cream. Whisk until soft peaks form and then add sour cream and the remaining burnt honey. Continue whisking.
- Put a round parchment paper on a serving plate and place a cake layer. Top with frosting. Repeat with the remaining cake layers and frosting. With the last cake layer, put the smooth side up.
- Frost the sides and top of the cake and cover with crumbs.
- Wrap with plastic and refrigerate for at least 8 hours. Transfer to a cake stand.
You should let each cake layer cool on individual parchment paper. You can also use any type of honey for this cake.
- Prep Time: 45 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
The result? THE most amazing Russian Honey Cake! It’s incredibly good, and it’s something that will surely surprise everybody. Perfect this recipe and serve it during special occasions. It’s going to be a sure hit!