Tuna comes with a plethora of health benefits. Thanks to the omega-3 fatty acids that it contains, which is very beneficial when it comes to heart health. It is also known to be quite helpful in lowering blood pressure and boosting the immune system.
This saltwater fish is one of the best foods for weight loss as well. And due to its vitamin B content, it plays a vitamin role in strengthening the bones, too. Other health benefits include: it promotes healthy skin, it helps prevent the risk of cancer, and it provides the body with energy.
With all that said, it’s no wonder why tuna is sought after. Ask people who are trying to lose weight and, for sure, a majority of them would tell you that they eat this type of tuna at least once a week.
One good thing about tuna is that it is quite versatile. It can be used as an ingredient to various dishes. It is also very easy to cook. And you know what? You can quickly whip out a healthy sandwich for lunch using canned tuna. By now you must already have an idea of what I am talking about – Tuna Melt Sandwich! It is the ultimate sandwich for tuna lovers. And for good reasons, too.Print
Do you want something crunchy, melty, cheesy, and healthy for lunch? This homemade toasted tuna melt sandwich would be your go-to.
2 cans tuna (6 oz. each)
8 slices bread
1/3 cup mayonnaise
juice of 1/2 lemon
1/4 cup red onion (finely chopped)
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes (crushed)
2 dill pickles (finely chopped)
1 ribs celery (finely chopped)
2 tablespoons fresh parsley (chopped)
2 tablespoons butter
1 tomato (sliced)
8 slices cheddar cheese
salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Combine mayonnaise, lemon juice, and crushed red pepper flakes in a bowl.
- Add tuna to mayonnaise mixture, but be sure to drain the tuna first. Next, add the celery, red onion, pickles, and parsley. Season with salt and pepper.
- On one side of each bread slice, put some butter. As for the unbuttered side, top with about 1/2 c. of the tuna salad, tomato slices, and a couple slices of cheddar cheese. Put the buttered slice on top and make sure that the side with the butter is facing up.
- Repeat steps with the rest and arrange them on a baking sheet.
- Bake for about 5 minutes or until the cheese starts to melt.
If using tuna chunks, use a fork to break them up. You can omit the red pepper flakes if you are not into it.
This tuna melt sandwich recipe involves very simple ingredients. I’m sure you have most of them laying around in your kitchen. But in case you are missing something, you can always use a substitute. For instance, if you don’t have bread slices, you have the option to utilize English muffins instead.
You can also have a so-called open-faced sandwich wherein you will only have to use the other half of the English muffin or one slice of bread. That right there will help reduce the calories!