Do you want something crunchy, melty, cheesy, and healthy for lunch? This homemade toasted tuna melt sandwich would be your go-to.
2 cans tuna (6 oz. each)
8 slices bread
1/3 cup mayonnaise
juice of 1/2 lemon
1/4 cup red onion (finely chopped)
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes (crushed)
2 dill pickles (finely chopped)
1 ribs celery (finely chopped)
2 tablespoons fresh parsley (chopped)
2 tablespoons butter
1 tomato (sliced)
8 slices cheddar cheese
salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Combine mayonnaise, lemon juice, and crushed red pepper flakes in a bowl.
- Add tuna to mayonnaise mixture, but be sure to drain the tuna first. Next, add the celery, red onion, pickles, and parsley. Season with salt and pepper.
- On one side of each bread slice, put some butter. As for the unbuttered side, top with about 1/2 c. of the tuna salad, tomato slices, and a couple slices of cheddar cheese. Put the buttered slice on top and make sure that the side with the butter is facing up.
- Repeat steps with the rest and arrange them on a baking sheet.
- Bake for about 5 minutes or until the cheese starts to melt.
If using tuna chunks, use a fork to break them up. You can omit the red pepper flakes if you are not into it.