Homemade Southern Pecan Pie
If you are from the southern part of the United States, then pecan pie is no stranger to you. This classic, old-fashioned dessert is perfect during Thanksgiving, Christmas, and other special gatherings. But that does not mean that you can no longer have it on the table on an ordinary day. If you follow this recipe that I am about to share with you, making pecan pie would definitely be as easy as 1, 2, 3!
What Exactly Is Pecan Pie?
This type of pie is made with pecan nuts mixed with the traditional combination of sugar, butter, and eggs. But if you want, you can also utilize cane syrup, maple syrup, sugar syrup, molasses, or honey. Either way, you’ll get to mimic the specialty of the Southern.
For those of you who haven’t had pecan pie yet, you might be wondering what it tastes like. Well, it is sweet, nutty, and chewy. It can also have a little bit of a salty taste. Now, if you opt to utilize corn syrup, that would make the outcome much better. And that’s exactly what we are using in this recipe! In two words, we can describe the taste of pecan pie as ‘wonderfully rich’. 🙂
Sweet and salty…nutty and chewy…classic and simple…This is going to be the best pecan pie you’ll ever have!
1 1/4 c. pecan nuts
1 unbaked pie shell (9-inch)
1 3/4 c. white sugar
1/4 c. each corn syrup (dark) and butter
1 tbsp. water (cold)
2 tsp. cornstarch
1/4 tsp. salt
1 tsp. vanilla extract
3 large eggs
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Combine the corn syrup, butter, sugar, cornstarch, and water in a saucepan. Bring to a full boil and remove the saucepan from heat.
- Beat eggs in a bowl then add the syrup mixture. Add the pecans, vanilla, and salt and pour into the pie shell.
- Bake for about 50 minutes or until filling is set.
- Check the pie while it’s baking so as to avoid burning the crust or even the pecan nuts. If it is still over jiggly, bake it some more.
- It would be best to allow the pie to cool off before serving it. You can even leave it to cool overnight if you want to.
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
More Baking Tips
Like what we have said, the pie should not be over jiggly. If it still does, cover it with a piece of foil and bake for another 10 to 20 minutes. Again, it is important that you check frequently so it won’t get burnt. If it is not shaking that much anymore, then you can remove it from the oven.
Pecan pie can be your year-round dessert. As you can see, it is quite easy to make. You just have to be mindful when it’s time to bake. If you want to add more excitement and flavor to your pie, serve it with whipped cream. Icecream or cinnamon-sugar would be excellent as well.