Vanilla Meringue Cookies
Growing up, I loved buying meringue cookies from the little stores in our neighborhood. They were cheap and I could get a bunch of them with my daily allowance. 🙂 I used to be fascinated with their different colors. White, pink, orange, green, yellow, and many more. Plus, I really like their crispiness.
They are my favorite. Up to these days, I still crave them. Although sometimes, it’s hard to find them where I live. So I looked up how to make these little treats. To my surprise, I learned that they are not that hard to make at all, and only a few ingredients are required.
If you are anything like me who crave meringues, no more need to run to the store when those cravings for sweets strike. You can simply make a handful in the comfort of your home. Or, if you haven’t had meringues before, it’s about time to try them. You can also explore different flavors. And mind you, you will realize that they are one of the easiest cookies to pull together.
Today, I am going to share with you how to make Vanilla Meringue Cookies. You only need 5 ingredients, and you’d have a delightful dessert or snack in an hour or so.
These little Vanilla Meringue Cookies are crisp, sweet, and delicate. You can eat them on their own for dessert or snack. You can also utilize them to decorate your favorite cake as well as tart.
3 large eggs (you only need the whites)
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
1/4 tsp. cream of tartar
2/3 c. sugar
- Put egg whites into a small bowl and leave at room temperature for about half an hour.
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Add the cream of tartar, vanilla extract, as well as the salt to the egg whites. Slowly add the sugar and be sure that it gets fully dissolved. Beat the mixture until you see glossy peaks forming.
- Get a pastry bag and create a small hole in the tip. Transfer meringue into the bag and pipe cookies according to the shape and size that you want. Be sure to keep them apart on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Bake them for about 45 minutes or until firm.
- Turn the oven heat off but leave the meringues in there. After an hour, remove them from the oven and let cool on the baking sheet. Remove the meringues from the paper.
If you plan on storing your Vanilla Meringue cookies, put them in an airtight container and store at room temperature.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
To prevent your meringues from getting flat, it is very important to let the egg whites stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. This should help avoid too much air collapsing out of the meringues. You also need to whisk the egg whites slowly using your mixer until they are foamy. And when you add the sugar, do it slowly as well. Do not add all the sugar at the same time, and ensure that they get fully dissolved.
These Vanilla Meringue Cookies can be stored for up to 14 days as long as you keep them in an airtight container. It is also highly recommended that you put a parchment paper in between the layers.