Salmon Potato Casserole
We all have those times when we do not feel like chopping too many ingredients, stirring endlessly, and hovering around the stove like nobody’s business, not to mention the amount of time that we have to wait just to make a single dish. After a long day at work, we want our dinner meal to be ready almost instantly. So what can you prepare with minimal action in the kitchen? Try this Salmon Potato Casserole.
There are a huge number of dishes out there that can be made in minutes. But, of course, you do not want to settle for something that has a low nutritional value. This is why before you cook something “easy”, make sure to check the ingredients first.
Well, with this recipe that I am going to share, the main ingredients are salmon and potatoes, and we all know how healthy they are. Potatoes are one of the most popular vegetables since they are available worldwide and you can get them all year long. When it comes to health benefits, they are rich in zinc, phosphorous, iron, magnesium, and calcium. All of which work hand in hand to maintain bone structure and strength. This type of vegetable contains potassium as well, which supports vasodilation or the widening of blood vessels. That is essential in regulating blood pressure and maintaining a healthy heart.
Potatoes also support weight management as well as digestive health and skin health. Plus, they can provide the body with energy.
Salmon, on the other hand, is very rich in omega-3 fatty acids. They are a great source of protein and vitamin B. And just like potatoes, it contains potassium as well.
So looking at the separate health benefits of salmon and potatoes, you can clearly tell just how nutritious our dinner recipe for today is.
Easy to prepare and easy to make…This Salmon Potato Casserole is a comfort food dish. It is flavorful and healthy, which is exactly what you need after a long day.
1 can salmon about 16 oz. (drained and flaked)
4 c. sliced potatoes
1 c. milk
3 tbsp. each butter and all-purpose flour
1/2 c. each mayonnaise and grated Parmesan cheese
1 tsp. each Worcestershire sauce and mustard
- Fill a large pot with salted water and add potatoes. Bring to a boil. Once it starts boiling, reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for about 10 to 15 minutes or until tender. Drain.
- Get 1 cup of the reserved liquid from salmon and combine with milk in a bowl.
- Grease a casserole dish and preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a saucepan over medium-low heat, melt butter and then stir in flour. Cook for about a minute or until flour is fully dissolved.
- Slowly add the milk mixture and cook for 5 to 10 minutes until sauce is thick and smooth. Stir constantly.
- Layer potatoes, salmon, and sauce into the dish.
- Combine mayonnaise, cheese, mustard, and Worcestershire sauce in a bowl and pour over casserole.
- Bake for about 30 minutes or until casserole is bubbling.
When draining the salmon, be sure to reserve the liquid.
- Method: Baking
Salmon Potato Casserole is not hard to make at all. For only an hour, you’d have a very healthy and savory dinner meal. If you have leftover, simply refrigerate and reheat the following morning.