I just can’t get enough of chocolate. Be it a chocolate bar, drink, cake, pizza, cupcake, ice cream, anything, just as long as it has “chocolate” in it, I’d grab it in a heartbeat! That’s how crazy I am when it comes to chocolate! 🙂
Well, can you blame me? I’m sure many of you feel the same way as I do with chocolates. It’s the best way to satisfy your sweet tooth. It doesn’t matter if it’s for a snack or after-dinner dessert, chocolate is just so good, and no words can explain how delicious it is…..in all forms! 🙂
One good example of a chocolate-made dessert that is so irresistible is Chocolate Lava Cake. Yep, that’s right. It’s that cupcake-looking treat oozing with chocolate, and sometimes topped with ice cream, fruit slices, whipped cream, or a combination.
What Is It Exactly?
This sweet treat comes in various names. Aside from chocolate lava cake, it is also known as chocolate moelleux or simply lava cake. It is believed that it was invented in 1987 by Jean-Georges Vongerichten, a great American-based chef. There are also claims that the original recipe came from Jacques Torres, a French chef and chocolatier.
According to the story, Vongerichten discovered this particular recipe by accident. It all started when he pulled a chocolate cake from the oven too early. He noticed that even though it was not yet completely baked, it actually has a nice taste and texture with its runny center. The rest is history…
This Chocolate Lava Cake is an elegant and decadent dessert. It will not only melt on your plate but also in your mouth!
6 ounces bittersweet chocolate
1/2 cup butter (unsalted)
2 egg yolks
2 tablespoons flour
1/4 cup sugar
a pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit while buttering and flouring 6 ramekins.
- In a double boiler, melt butter and chocolate on low heat until smooth.
- Combine eggs, egg yolks, salt, and sugar in a medium bowl until light and thick.
- Add the chocolate mixture as well as the flour with the egg mixture.
- Pour the batter into the ramekins and bake for about 8 minutes.
- Let the ramekins cool for about 1 minute and cover each with an inverted dessert plate.
- Carefully turn each one over. Let stand for a few seconds before unmolding.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar and serve.
It would be best to use an electric mixer when making the egg mixture.
To make your Chocolate Lava Cake more presentable, and, of course, more delicious, feel free to garnish with berries or any fruit slices that you want. You can also serve it with a scoop of ice cream on top or on the side.
Also, keep in mind that the cooking time will highly depend on the size of the ramekins that you are using as well as your oven’s performance. If you are planning on serving this to a party, I highly recommend making a test batch first. This way, you can make the necessary adjustments.