Air Fryer Coconut Shrimp
Deep-fried foods are appealing. Imagine munching on something crispy on the outside but a bit moist and tender on the inside. It’s heaven, right? For sure, you are now thinking about French fries and fried chicken.
Despite the deliciousness of fried foods, they also come with a cost. The grease has adverse effects on your health. Think about the weight gain, problems with brain functions, metabolic syndrome, high blood pressure, and other health complications. You don’t want all that!
Do you want to enjoy fried foods minus the side effects? Try using an air fryer. This cooking equipment is becoming more and more popular because it allows people to fry foods healthily. It requires little to no oil since it cooks the food with hot-air circulation.
There are so many dishes that you can make using this amazing cooking equipment. One of which is “Coconut Shrimp”. In this recipe, shrimp is the star, and we all know how healthy it is. This type of seafood is an excellent source of protein and it is also high in vitamins and minerals. You can fry it or add it to your pasta sauce. You can also stir fry it with some vegetables.
Let’s see how to make Coconut Shrimp using an air fryer.
Coconut Shrimp is a restaurant favorite – sweet, crunchy, and savory. Make it using an air fryer, and you can enjoy all the benefits of little to no oil.
12 oz. medium shrimp (uncooked, peeled, and deveined)
1/2 c. all-purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
2 large eggs
1/3 c. panko bread crumbs
2/3 c. flaked coconut (unsweetened)
1/4 c. each lime juice and honey
1/2 tsp. salt
1 serrano chile (thinly sliced)
2 tsp. cilantro (chopped)
- Using a shallow dish, combine pepper and flour. Get another shallow dish and lightly beat the eggs. Dredge each shrimp in the flour mixture then in the beaten eggs followed by the coconut mixture. Place on a plate and coat with cooking spray.
- Preheat air fryer to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Put half of the shrimps in the air fryer and cook for about 3 minutes or until golden. Flip them and cook for another 3 minutes. Do the same thing with the remaining shrimps.
- Meanwhile, make the dipping sauce by mixing the honey, serrano chile, and lime juice in a small bowl.
- Sprinkle with cilantro before serving if desired.
If you do not have a serrano chile available, you can replace it with 2 teaspoons of crushed red pepper instead.
It is highly recommended that you serve your Coconut Shrimp immediately after cooking it. Now, if you are not too keen on the lime juice dipping sauce, you can also serve it with mayonnaise.
This air fryer coconut shrimp can be eaten on its own. Or, if you want to have a complete meal, serve it with rice, pasta, French fries, or coleslaw. Everybody would love the crispy coconut exterior and plump juicy shrimp interior. Plus, it is very healthy!