Traditional Chicken Biryani is made with chicken, rice, herbs, and other spices…The result is a delicious meal loaded with flavors.
2 cups basmati rice
1 1/2 pounds chicken legs
1 ginger (minced)
1 red chili (sliced thinly)
5 yellow onions (sliced thinly)
2 1/2 teaspoons garam masala
1/2 cup plain yogurt
1 cup of water
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1 1/2 cup raisins
1 bay leaf
1 1 /2 teaspoons ground turmeric
3 tablespoons oil
salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Rinse rice and boil a large pot of water seasoned with salt. Add rice and cook for about 8 minutes, then drain.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, heat about 1 tablespoon of oil. Season the chicken legs with salt and pepper. Cook until both sides are golden brown. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
- Add more oil to the skillet (about 2 tablespoons), reduce the heat, and cook the onions until golden as well. Set aside half of the onions.
- Put the heat back to medium and add ginger, garam masala, chili, garlic, and tomato paste. Cook for a couple of minutes or until the fragrance is released.
- Add yogurt, water, turmeric, and bay leaf, and bring to a boil before adding raisins. Put the cooked chicken back, too. Simmer for about 8 to 10 minutes to allow the chicken to cook through.
- Put half of the rice in a baking dish along with half of the chicken mixture and half of the reserved onions. Do the same with the other half.
- Cover and bake for half an hour.
Serve it with sliced almonds, parsley, or sliced lemon and fresh onions.
- Cuisine: Indian