Each bite of this traditional American apple pie will give you warmth and joy like you are being hugged. An excellent dessert for any occasion.
7 cups tart apples (peeled and thinly sliced)
3 tbsp. all-purpose flour
pastry for double-crust pie
1/2 c. sugar
1/2 c. packed brown sugar
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp. each ground ginger and nutmeg
1 tbsp. each lemon juice and butter
1 large egg
- Combine the flour, spices, and sugars in a bowl. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, mix the apple slices with lemon juice and the sugar mixture.
- Line a 9-inch pie plate with the bottom crust, fill with apple mixture and dot with butter. Top with remaining crust.
- Trim, seal the edges and cut slits in crust.
- In a small bowl, beat the egg white and brush over crust.
- Sprinkle with sugar.
- Cover the edges with foil.
- Bake at 375 degrees Fahrenheit for about 25 to 30 minutes.
- Remove the foil on the edges and bake for another 25 minutes or until the crust is golden brown.
- Let it cool and serve.
Apple pie can be eaten on its own. Or, you can also top it with a scoop of vanilla or cinnamon ice cream. Caramel sauce and whipped cream would be great, too.
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American