Made with mascarpone custard and layers of ladyfingers soaked in rum and coffee, this easy-to-make Italian Tiramisu makes the perfect after-dinner dessert.
2 packages ladyfinger cookies (3 ounces each pack)
1 tablespoon cocoa powder (unsweetened)
2 tablespoons rum
1 pound mascarpone cheese
1/4 cup brewed coffee
1 1/4 cups heavy cream
3/4 cup white sugar
2/3 cup milk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
6 large egg yolks
- Put the egg yolks in a saucepan and mix well. Turn to medium heat and add milk. Stir constantly and wait until it starts to boil. Remove from heat after a minute and then allow to cool before leaving in the fridge for an hour.
- Put cream and vanilla in a medium bowl and beat until stiff peaks form.
- Add mascarpone into the yolk mixture and mix until smooth.
- Combine coffee and rum in a separate bowl.
- Split ladyfingers in half (lengthwise) and drizzle with coffee mixture.
- Using a 7X11-inch dish, arrange half of the soaked ladyfingers and then pour over mascarpone mixture. Top with half of the whipped cream. Repeat the layering and then sprinkle with cocoa.
- Refrigerate for about 4 hours until it sets.
The mascarpone cheese and coffee should both be at room temperature. And for better results, go for a strong-tasting brewed coffee.
- Cuisine: Italian