This delicious pineapple pie is a guaranteed winner. With its golden crust and luscious pineapple custard mixture, it’s like a dessert made in heaven. It is the perfect tropical dessert!
1 9-inch deep-dish pie crust (baked and cooled)
1/2 c. extra fine granulated sugar
3 egg yolks
Pinch of salt
3 tbsp. cornstarch
1 1/2 c. milk
1 c. crushed pineapple
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
3 egg whites (at room temperature)
1/2 tsp. cream of tartar
2 tbsp. extra fine granulated sugar
- Combine sugar, egg yolks, salt, cornstarch, and milk in a double broiler.
- Heat on medium-high with water at the bottom of the double broiler. Whisk the egg yolk mixture for about 10 to 15 minutes or until thick and the texture is custardy.
- Once the mixture is thick enough, remove it from heat and let cool for a couple of minutes. Add the crushed pineapple as well as the vanilla extract.
- Pour the mixture into the cooled pie shell.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Using an electric mixer, whisk egg whites for about 45 seconds and add the cream of tartar and sugar.
- At medium-high speed, whisk for about 10 minutes or until the meringue is smooth and stiff peaks form.
- Spread the meringue over the pineapple pie, covering the entire top.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 10 minutes or until the top is slightly browned.
- Let cool for about an hour (on the counter) before transferring to the fridge. Chill for at least 6 hours.
- Make sure to drain the crushed pineapple very well.
- You can also chill your pineapple pie overnight.