Be it for breakfast, brunch, or snacks, these healthy whole wheat bagels are a perfect choice. They are versatile too because you can top them with a huge variety of toppings like poppy seeds, sesame seeds, or even a mixture of sugar and cinnamon.
1 1/4 cup boiling water
3 tbsp. honey
1 tbsp. salt
2 tbsp. dry active yeast
1/4 c. lukewarm water
4 c. whole wheat flour (add more if needed)
- In a large, heat-proof bowl, combine the boiling water, salt, and honey. Stir well and then aside. Let the mixture cool to about 100 degrees Fahrenheit (lukewarm).
- Place the second measure of water in a separate bowl. Sprinkle the yeast over the top of the surface and let it dissolve. Once the yeast is fully dissolved, add it to the honey mixture. Stir well.
- Add half of the flour to the yeast mixture. Beat well and then add the remaining flour and knead until the dough is smooth and elastic.
- Proceed with shaping the dough into equal-sized balls. Poke a hole in the middle of each ball using your thumb and then shape it into a bagel shape.
- Place the balls on a lightly floured work surface. Cover with a cloth and let sit for about 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit and then bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Start dropping 3 to 4 bagels at a time into the boiling water. Let boil for about 6 minutes, turning once.
- Using a slotted spoon, remove and transfer the bagels to an ungreased baking sheet. Repeat steps with the remaining bagels.
- Bake the bagels in the preheated oven for about 30 to 35 minutes.
- Cool on a wire rack and store in an airtight container.
- You can eat the bagels fresh or slice and freeze for later.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour