Have a taste of the authentic Pho Bo made with broth simmered for long hours and served with beef slices and other toppings that make it aromatic and rich in flavor.
5 lbs. veal knuckle
2 lbs beef oxtail (lean, stewed, and salted)
1/2 lb. bee top sirloin
1 raw radish
2 raw onions
2 oz. whole star anise
1/2 cinnamon stick
2 whole cloves
1 tsp. whole black peppercorns
1 slice raw ginger root
1 tbsp. each granulated sugar, table salt, and fish sauce
1 1/2 lb. rice noodle
1 tbsp. pepper or hot sauce
1/4 c. hoisin sauce
1 raw onion
1 c. each raw cilantro and fresh bean sprouts
2 tbsp scallions
2 raw lime
- In a large pot, season the beef knuckle with salt, add 2 gallons of water, and boil for about 2 hours.
- Add the radish, onions, and oxtail.
- Put the star anise, cinnamon stick, ginger, peppercorns, and cloves in a spice bag and add to the soup.
- Add the sugar, fish sauce, and salt. Let it simmer for at least 4 hours. Add more salt if needed.
- Discard spices as well as the bones.
- In a separate pot, boil water with a little bit of salt. While you are waiting for the water to boil, soak the noodles in water.
- Add the noodles to the boiling water and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Slice the frozen beef thinly.
- In a bowl, put some noddles, raw beef slices, and broth. Top with onions, basil, cilantro, and bean sprouts.
- Serve with lime, sriracha sauce, and hoisin sauce on the side.
Make sure not to overcook the noodles. 5 minutes should be enough. The longer the broth is simmered, the better.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 6 hours
- Category: Soup/Broth
- Method: Boiling
- Cuisine: Vietnamese