Using green or brown lentils as the base, your family will surely love this savory Vegan Sloppy Joe recipe.
2 c. lentils (green or brown)
1-quart vegetable broth
2 tbsp. olive oil
1 c. and 2 tbsp. organic ketchup
2 tbsp. and 1 tsp. vegan Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp. salt
3/4 c. green bell pepper (diced)
4 garlic cloves
1 c. onion (diced)
1 tsp. mustard powder
1 tsp. onion powder
1 tsp. chili powder
hot sauce to taste
bread and butter pickles
8 whole-wheat buns (vegan)
- Put the lentils in a large saucepan along with 3 cups of vegetable broth, 2 cups of water, and 1/2 tsp. of salt. Once it starts to simmer, reduce the heat, and uncover for about 25 minutes until the lentils are tender enough. Drain the liquid once cooked.
- While cooking the lentils, start making the sauce. Dice the green pepper as well as the onion. Mince the garlic, too.
- Using a separate saucepan, heat the olive oil. Add the onion and bell pepper and cook for about 5 minutes. Add the garlic, followed by the vegetable broth, a cup of organic ketchup, and Worcestershire sauce. Stir in the mustard, chili, and onion powder as well. Let it simmer until the sauce gets thick.
- Add the cooked lentils to the sauce and cook for another 5 minutes on low heat.
- Remove from heat and add the remaining ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, and salt.
- Serve on toasted buns with pickles and pickled onions.
- Make sure not to overcook the lentils. You can start checking it in 10 or 15 minutes after you uncover it.
- Be careful when buying ketchup and Worcestershire sauce. Be sure that they are vegan/organic.
- Category: Sandwich
- Cuisine: American