This Tuscan Panzanella salad is sure to become your instant favorite. With crusty bread, ripe tomatoes, and some vegetables, not to mention the best homemade vinaigrette, the flavors are truly delightful. It is the perfect addition to your lunch or dinner meal. You can eat it on its own as well if you want something light.
3 tbsp. olive oil (good quality)
1 small French bread (cut into 1-inch cubes, about 6 cups)
1 tsp. kosher salt
2 large ripe tomatoes (cut into 1-inch cubes)
1 cucumber (unpeeled, seeded, sliced about 1/2-inch thick)
1 red bell pepper (seeded, cut into 1-inch cubes)
1 yellow bell pepper (seeded, cut into 1-inch cubes)
1/2 red onion (thinly sliced)
About 20 large basil leaves (coarsely chopped)
3 tbsp. capers (drained)
1 tsp. finely minced garlic
1/2 tsp. Dijon mustard
3 tbsp. Champagne vinegar
1/2 c. olive oil (good quality)
1/2 tsp. kosher salt
1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- In a large sauté pan, heat the oil and then add the bread and salt.
- Cook over medium-low heat for about 10 minutes or until nicely browned. Toss frequently. Add more oil if needed.
- Mix the tomatoes, cucumber, red bell pepper, yellow bell pepper, basil, capers, and red onion in a large bowl.
- Add the bread cubes and the vinaigrette and season with salt and pepper.
- Serve and enjoy!
***To make the vinaigrette, simply whisk all the ingredients together.
- It is highly recommended that you allow the salad to sit for about 30 minutes. This should let the flavors blend.