This classic dish is a comfort food at its finest. Stuffed with beef, rice, tomato sauce, and other spices and seasonings, you will be able to take your regular bell peppers to the next level!
6 bell peppers (any color)
1 1/2 lb. ground beef
1 1/2 c. cooked white rice
2 tsp. olive oil
2 tsp. garlic (minced)
1/2 c. onion (finely chopped)
1 can (15 oz.) tomato sauce
1/2 tsp. Italian seasoning
1 1/2 c. shredded mozzarella cheese (divided)
2 tbsp. chopped parsley
salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and spray a large baking dish with cooking spray.
- Slice the tops of the bell peppers and get rid of the ribs and seeds.
- Arrange the bell peppers in the baking dish, with the cut side down, and then add 1 1/2 cups of water to the dish. Cover and bake for about 25 minutes.
- While baking the bell peppers, prepare the filling. In a large pan over medium heat, heat the olive oil. Add the ground beef and season with salt and pepper.
- Cook the beef for about 5 minutes or until the meat is cooked through.
- Add the onion and cook for 4 minutes or until soft and translucent.
- Add the garlic and cook for about 30 seconds.
- Add the tomato sauce, cooked rice, and Italian seasoning. Combine well and then stir in 1/2 cup of shredded mozzarella cheese. Season with salt and pepper.
- Remove the bell peppers from the oven and get rid of the water. Turn each one over and fill with the beef mixture. Top each with the remaining mozzarella cheese. Cover and bake for about 20 minutes.
- Uncover and bake for another 10 minutes or until cheese is melted and browned. The bell peppers should be tender, too.
- Sprinkle with chopped parsley before serving.
- You can use any color or combination of bell peppers.
- When cooking the meat, use a spatula to break it up to ensure that it will be thoroughly cooked.
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American