These bars will certainly put plums to good use – which they truly deserve. With buttery crusts and the distinct taste and texture of plums, you will have the most delightful snack or dessert with Plum Crumble Bars!
For the crust and crumble:
2 c. all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1 c. butter (with avocado oil)
1 c. granulated sugar
1 tsp. vanilla extract
For the filling:
3 c. chopped plums
2 tbsps. granulated sugar
2 tbsps. cornstarch
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp. ground ginger
a pinch of salt
- Make the filling first by tossing plums with sugar, cornstarch, salt, and spices. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and line a 9-inch square baking pan with parchment paper.
- Combine flour, salt, and baking powder in a medium bowl and set aside.
- Mix the butter and sugar in a separate bowl until light and fluffy. Beat in the vanilla.
- Set the mixture on low and slowly add the flour mixture. Mix until just combined.
- Set aside about 3/4 cup of the dough. Firmly press the remaining into the prepared pan and then evenly spread the plum mixture over the crust. Crumble the reserved dough over plums.
- Bake for about 45 to 50 minutes or until the top is golden and the filling is bubbling.
- Transfer the pan to a wire rack and cool completely.
- Grab the ends of the parchment paper and take the crumble out of the pan. Slice into 16 bars. Serve.
- For the butter, I highly recommend Country Crock Plant Butter.
- When lining the baking pan, be sure to have the ends of the parchment paper overhang on two sides so that it will be easier for you to lift the bars out later on.