This Indian Butter Chicken recipe is a full-flavored dish. With its creamy tomato sauce, you’d have more reasons to love Indian food!
1 pound chicken thighs (skinless, boneless, and cut into bite-size pieces)
1 tbsp. each ginger-garlic paste and cornstarch
1 shallot (finely chopped)
1/4 white onion (chopped)
2 tbsp. each butter and peanut oil
2 tsp. lemon juice
1 tsp. each chili powder and ground cumin
2 tsp. garam masala
1 bay leaf
1/4 c. plain yogurt
1 c. each half-and-half and tomato puree
cayenne pepper, to taste
salt and pepper
1/4 c. water
- In a large saucepan over medium-high heat, heat 1 tablespoon of peanut oil. Saute onion and shallot until translucent.
- Add butter, ginger-garlic paste, lemon juice, 1 tsp. garam masala, cumin, bay leaf, and chili powder. Cook and stir for about a minute.
- Stir in tomato sauce. Cook for a couple of minutes, but be sure to stir constantly.
- Add yogurt and half-and-half. Reduce heat and simmer for about 10 minutes. Stir frequently.
- Season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, heat another tablespoon of peanut oil. Cook chicken for about 10 minutes or until light brown.
- Season with cayenne and another teaspoon of garam masala and reduce heat.
- Add several spoons of the sauce and simmer until chicken is cooked through.
- Add chicken into the sauce.
- Mix water and cornstarch together, then add to the sauce. Cook for up to 10 minutes or until thick.
You can serve the dish over rice or naan bread.