For the upcoming holidays, this ‘fruit cake’ from Siena is definitely a must-try. Made with honey, candied fruits, and nuts, it is going to be your family’s new favorite dessert!
3 c. flour
2 c. whole almonds (blanched and toasted)
2 1/2 c. whole hazelnuts (toasted)
1/2 c. chocolate chips (semi-sweetened)
3/4 c. dried figs
1/2 c. candied orange peel
3/4 c. powdered sugar (add 2 tbsp for serving)
1 tsp cinnamon powder
1 c. cold water
a pinch each of clove powder, nutmeg, and salt
butter and flour
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease and flour the pan (about 9-inch in size) and then put a baking paper at the bottom.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, nutmeg, clove powder, salt, candied orange peel, almonds, hazelnuts, chocolate chips, and dried figs.
- Add honey and sugar in a small pan and dissolve the sugar over medium-low heat. As soon as it starts boiling, add water. Make sure to stir water and honey mixture very well and then remove from heat.
- Add sugar to the flour mixture and combine well before pouring it into the greased pan. Using your hands, press the mixture evenly onto the pan.
- Put the pan into the oven and bake for up to 35 minutes.
- Once done, allow it to cool. Sprinkle a little bit of the powdered sugar on top before slicing and serving.
When pouring the sugar mixture into the flour mixture, make sure that it is warm and not hot. This should allow the chocolate chips to melt. You can also utilize a bigger pan, but that would mean extending the cooking time.
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: Italian