With the many chores at home, we may not have enough time to prepare lunch that requires too much effort. If you have less time to spare, you do not have to compromise the quality of the food you are going to prepare for your loved ones.
Grilled Submarine Sandwich is a delectable dish for lunch that can satisfy a hungry tummy. It is grilled, with some vegetables and it uses turkey instead of pork and beef that makes this sandwich even healthier.
1 large green pepper, thinly sliced
1 small onion, thinly sliced and separated into rings
1/2 tsp. of olive oil
1 loaf (1 lb.) unsliced Italian bread
1/3 cup of prepared Italian salad dressing, divided
2 oz. of sliced deli turkey
4 slices Swiss cheese
2 oz. of sliced deli ham
3 slices of cheddar cheese
2 oz. of sliced deli pastrami
1/2 cup of sliced dill pickles
1 large tomato, thinly sliced
Additional olive oil
- Toss in green pepper and onion in a large bowl with oil. Place vegetables on a double thickness of heavy-duty foil (about 12 in. square).
- Fold foil around vegetables and seal tightly. Cover and grill over medium-high heat until tender or for about 12-15 minutes; set aside.
- Cut loaf in half horizontally. You will only be using ½ inch bottom half. Brush cut sides of loaf with salad dressing. Place cut side down on the grill.
- Grill, uncovered, over medium heat for 3-5 minutes or until golden brown.
- Place the bottom of the loaf on a double thickness of heavy-duty foil (about 18 in. x 12 in.). Layer with turkey, two Swiss cheese slices, ham, cheddar cheese, pastrami, and remaining Swiss cheese.
- Top with green pepper mixture, pickles, and tomato.
- Drizzle remaining dressing over cut side of bread top; place overfilling. Brush bread with additional oil.
- Fold foil around the sandwich and seal tightly. Grill, covered, over medium heat until cheese is melted or for about 4-8 minutes.
- Slice with a serrated knife. The grilled submarine sandwich is now ready for serving.
- When grilling, make sure that you check the time to get the right results.
- You can also add lettuce if you want to.