This fresh homemade eclair is something that would impress everyone. It is filled with pudding mixture and topped with chocolate icing. Deliciously decadent!
1/2 c. butter
1 c. all-purpose flour
1 c. water
1/4 tsp. salt
5 oz instant vanilla pudding mix
1 c. heavy cream
2 1/2 c. milk (cold)
1 1/4 c. confectioner’s sugar (divided)
2 tsp. vanilla extract (divided)
1 oz semisweet chocolate
2 tbsp butter
3 tbsp. hot water
- Grease a cookie sheet and preheat the oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Combine 1 cup of water and 1/2 cup of butter in a medium saucepan, and bring to a boil. Stir and let the butter melt completely. Reduce heat to low and then add the flour and salt. Stir until the mixture forms a stiff ball.
- Remove from heat and add eggs (one at a time). Beat after each addition.
- Using a pastry bag fitted with a no. 10 tip, pipe dough onto the prepared cookie sheet, making about 1 1/2X 4 inch strips.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 15 minutes. Reduce the temperature to 325 degrees and bake for another 20 minutes.
- Let cool completely on a wire rack.
- To make the filling, combine the milk and pudding mix in a medium bowl, following the package directions.
- In a separate bowl, beat the cream using an electric mixer until soft peaks form. Add 1/4 cup of confectioner’s sugar and 1 teaspoon vanilla. Fold cream into pudding.
- Cut the tops of the cooled pastry shells using a sharp knife and fill shells with pudding mixture and replace tops.
- Make the icing by melting the chocolate and 2 tablespoons of butter in a medium saucepan over low heat. Add 1 cup of confectioner’s sugar and 1 teaspoon of vanilla. Add the hot water (one tablespoon at a time) until the desired consistency is reached. Remove from heat, let cool a little bit, and drizzle over eclairs.
- Refrigerate the eclairs until serving.