In this recipe, bucatini pasta and broccoli are boiled together and finished with a lightly creamy tomato sauce before dusted with pecorino cheese. You’d definitely fall in love with this aromatic pasta dish!
1/2 lb. bucatini pasta
1/2 lb. broccoli (roughly chopped)
2 tablespoons mascarpone cheese (or quark)
2 cloves garlic (peeled, roughly chopped)
2 tablespoons tomato paste
2 tablespoons butter
2 teaspoons olive oil
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
1/4 cup grated pecorino cheese
salt and pepper, to taste
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
- Once the water is boiling, add the pasta and cook for about 5 minutes. Add the broccoli and cook for another 3 to 4 minutes, stirring occasionally. Check to see if the broccoli is tender enough and the pasta is al dente before turning off the heat. Reserve about 1/2 cup of the cooking water and drain the rest. Put the cooked pasta and broccoli back to the pot.
- While cooking the pasta, prepare the sauce. Heat 2 teaspoons of olive oil in a medium pan on medium-high heat. Add the garlic and season with salt and pepper. Cook for about 1 minute or until the garlic is soft.
- Add the tomato paste, Italian seasoning, and crushed red pepper flakes to the pan. Cook and stir frequently for about 2 minutes.
- Add 1/2 cup of water and season with salt and pepper. Cook and stir frequently for another 3 minutes or until thickened. Turn off the heat.
- Add the sauce to the cooked pasta and broccoli, along with butter and mascarpone cheese and half of the reserved cooking water. Cook on medium-high heat for 2 minutes or until pasta is coated. Stir vigorously.
- Turn off the heat and season with salt and pepper.
- Garnish with pecorino cheese and serve.
- For the Italian seasoning, you can use whole dried basil, sage, oregano, thyme, rosemary, or marjoram.
- For the broccoli, cut off and discard about 1/2 inch of the stem.
- If the pasta looks dry at the last step, gradually add the reserved cooking water until the desired consistency is achieved.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes