This Valencian Seafood Paella recipe would make you love rice even more. Loaded with mussels, clams, shrimps, and other natural ingredients, you can’t say no to it! It is super healthy and it definitely tastes amazing!
3 c. short-grain rice
1 lb. large shrimps (peeled and deveined, with tails left on)
1 lb. mussels (rinsed and scrubbed well)
1 lb. littleneck clams (rinsed and scrubbed well)
6 oz. chorizo sausage (mild dried, sliced into thin half-moons)
4 1/2 c. chicken stock
1/2 tsp. saffron threads (crumbled, loosely measured)
3 tbsps. olive oil
1/4 tsp. salt
3 cloves garlic (finely chopped)
1/2 red bell pepper (finely chopped)
1/2 yellow onion (finely chopped)
1 can, 14-oz fire-roasted diced tomatoes
1 c. frozen green peas
1/4 c. chopped parsley (for garnishing)
- Heat a gas grill to 375 degrees Fahrenheit (medium-high heat).
- Put the chicken stock in a saucepan over medium-high heat and bring to a boil. Add the salt and saffron, turn the heat off, and allow the saffron to steep for about 15 minutes. Add more salt if needed.
- Using a cast-iron pan or stainless steel skillet (14-inch big) over medium heat, heat the oil. Add the red pepper and onion. Cook for about 5 minutes or until the onion is translucent. Add the garlic followed by the chorizo.
- Set a table next to the grill and assemble the ingredients (sofrito, infused stock, rice, tomatoes, salt, peas, mussels, shrimps, and clams).
- Put the skillet with the sofrito in it on top of the grill and then add the rice. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. The rice should be coated with oil and lightly toasted. Add the stock, peas, and tomatoes. Taste and add salt if needed.
- Spread the rice evenly over the bottom of the skillet, close the grill cover, and let the rice simmer for 15 minutes. This time, do not stir. Wait until the rice absorbs most of the stock. If it gets too dry, add 1 cup of hot water, but do not stir.
- Arrange the mussels, clams, and shrimps over the rice. Cover with foil and close the cover of the grill once again. Cook for 10 minutes or until the rice and shrimps are cooked through.
- Try to slip a spatula under the rice and see if the bottom has caramelized. If not, put the pan over the heat uncovered for a few minutes.
- Sprinkle with parsley and serve.
- When nestling the mussels and clams into the rice, their hinge sides should be up so that they will release their juices into the rice.
- Get rid of any shellfish that is still tightly shut even after cooking.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Cuisine: Spanish