Chicken Cordon Bleu
Settling for the main dish which you are going to prepare for dinner for some special guests can be a daunting experience. Deciding to go for a healthier meal to go with your expectations of a lengthy and cheerful discourse over dinner can be the best idea.
For such an occasion, you have to come up with a chicken recipe that is not only appealing to the taste buds but also to the optic nerves. It must be something new and impressive. That means it cannot be the commonly prepared roasted chicken. It must be Chicken Cordon Bleu, made with chicken breasts.
For someone who has not been treated to this baked chicken recipe before, it will surely be a new gastronomical experience to remember. The perfect blend of chicken, ham, and cheese in a single roll is simply delightful.
Chicken Roll Ingredients:
8 chicken breasts (skinned and deboned)
4 slices of Swiss cheese in 1” inch cuts
8 slices of ham (precooked)
1 tsp of dried thyme
Pepper and salt, to taste
¼ cup of butter (melted)
½ cup of cornflakes cereal crumbs
½ cup of sour cream
1 can (10.75 ounce) of condensed cream of chicken soup
1 tsp of lemon juice
- On each ham slice, put some cuts of cheese and sprinkle with thyme, salt, and pepper to taste. ‘Jelly roll’ the stuffed ham.
- To prepare the chicken, alternately place them in between two plastic wraps and pound them using a meat mallet until it is 1/8 inch thick.
- Roll chicken with the cheese-stuffed ham inside, tuck the ends, and fasten the rolls with toothpicks.
- In a bowl of melted butter, dip each chicken roll. Place them in a shallow dish of cornflakes cereal crumbs and roll each until all are fully coated.
- In a pre-heated oven at 400 degrees Fahrenheit, bake the chicken rolls until they are golden brown or for approximately 40 minutes.
- To make a matching sauce, mix the condensed cream of chicken soup, sour cream, and lemon juice in a bowl. Stir occasionally as you heat the mixture over low heat.
- The sauce can make about two cups with ¼ cup for each chicken roll.
- When serving, you can pour the sauce over the chicken rolls or place in separate saucers.
With Chicken Cordon Bleu rolls, you can be assured of a course full of nutritional value. One serving of chicken roll contains 489.5 calories, 50g protein, 14g carbohydrates, 25.1 fats, 162mg cholesterol, and considerable amounts of vitamins A, C, B6, and niacin, folate, calcium, magnesium, iron, potassium, and sodium.
Choosing a chicken dish over other meat recipes can be the safest option if you do not exactly know the preference of each one who will partake in the dinner you prepared. Undoubtedly, Chicken Cordon Bleu will surely delight guests with its rich taste and visual appeal. It may also give the impression of how much effort and creativity you injected to come up with the dish, although it may not really be that hard, for sure. After dinner, be ready for the accolades.